2020 Virtual Summer Reading Program
We are calling all school-aged readers in Monongalia County to join us on a 6-week reading challenge from June 22 – August 3. Fight the summer slide and join hundreds of other readers across the county and participate in Morgantown Public Library System’s 2020 Summer Reading Program.
While social distancing measures are still in place, the Morgantown Public Library and all branches must adhere to restricted public gatherings. This means the events we had planned each week have been moved online and redesigned so your kids can “Imagine Their Story” through discovery, engagement, and learning from the safety of your home.
- The Start: Register at https://forms.gle/BWqdeyxnpYnXLtBx7
- The Challenge: Read as many books as you can between June 22 – August 3.
- The Task: Pick up supplies from your local library branch and work through each week’s “Imagine Your Story” activity. The kits are recommended for 1st grades and up. We will release online videos each week so you won’t have to do it alone.
- The Side Mission: “One Book” Community Book Club (see below)
- The Reward: Log your books to win prizes.
- Register one child or the whole family for the Summer Reading Program: https://forms.gle/BWqdeyxnpYnXLtBx7
- If you don’t already have an account on Beanstack, sign up to track and log your books: mympls.beanstack.org. This year we will not be offering paper registration or paper book logs.
You have six weeks from June 22 – August 3 to log as many of your new reads as possible on Beanstack: mympls.beanstack.org. Read and win prizes!
Create paper dragons, magical potions, and miniature fairy doors! Stop by the library to pick up the supplies (recommended for 1st grade and up.) Don’t want to do it alone? Work through the activity with us through our online videos. Prepare to see your favorite librarians. Each video will be released every Tuesday at 9:00am on the Morgantown Public Library Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/MorgantownPublicLibrary) and Youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpFTlCanvGjc2IMckNQa7fA).
The Side Mission
One challenge not enough? Participate in our “One Book” Community Book Club. From July 6 – July 31, all Monongalia County readers in their age category will read the same book selected by staff. Registered readers will receive weekly postcards in the mail with discussion questions and activities to get moving and thinking outside of the box. Play a family hike bingo game, create your own robot wind chimes, build a mini shelter, we have it all planned for you. To round it all out, connect with other readers each week on Zoom every Thursday at 10:00am or 6:00pm to discuss the book.
The reading selection for children up to 12-years-old is “The Wild Robot” by Peter Brown and teens will be reading “This Was Our Pact” by Ryan Andrews. Four hundred copies of “The Wild Robot” and fifty copies of “This Was Our Pact” have been purchased and will be distributed on a first come first serve basis–limited to one book per age group in a given household. Stop by your local branch to pick up your own copy of the book starting June 25th during regular business hours. You can obtain your book from the front desk or call in advance and use the library’s curbside pickup service.
To participate in the “One Book” Community Book Club be sure to opt in when you register for the Summer Reading Program.
Prizes are coming your way! Await for details from your local library branch.
- Arnettsville Public Library, 4120 Fairmont Road, Morgantown, WV 26501|(304) 278-2021
- Cheat Area Public Library, 121 Crosby Road, Morgantown, WV 26508 |(304) 594-1020
- Clay-Battelle Public Library, 6059 Mason-Dixon Hwy, Blacksville, WV 26521 |(304) 432-8531
- Clinton District Public Library, 2005 Grafton Road, Morgantown, WV 26508 |(304) 291-0703
- Morgantown Public Library, 373 Spruce Street, Morgantown, WV 26505 |(304) 291-7425
Feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (304) 291-7425 with any questions.